Because I'm not joking, the stuff you find out there really gives weight to the phrase "One man's trash is another man's treasure." or Anglicized "One man's rubbish is another man's riches." Which has certainly been my case in the past, when times have got tough(er).
I don't sell much anymore, I explained to a very nice bearded man in one of my favourite charity shops yesterday when I bought this etching below; there wasn't a price on it and so I enquired, he hesitated, looked at his French colleague who shrugged and said "£5?" My heart sank a little, I was really quite taken with this 19th century image of Hagar and her sleeping friend, especially seeing as Hagar had been quite sloppily daubed in a pale blue paint and her friend in an almost neon pink by someone, I imagine, who wasn't working at the company producing the image.
I'm not religious but I do have a strong belief that religion is the inspiration behind the world's greatest art.
In fact I was mistaken and the bearded man said to me "£1 then?"
Do you ever get that when you think you've only reacted in your mind, but actually it's been more than apparent on your face?
He laughed "That look tells me you know how much it's actually worth?"
And my answer was the truth:
"No, I don't sell, I only buy things to clutter up my room."
![]() |
| "And the Angel of God called to Hagar out of Heaven", 1846 - £1.00 |

No comments:
Post a Comment